Happy New Year to all Friends of the John o’Groats Trail!
I hope the holidays were good for all of you.
Just a short newsletter to update you on a few things and announce two volunteer workdays in February. Group secretaries/contacts please forward this call for volunteers to your members. (If this email is forwarded to you, email me directly to be placed on our mailing list.)
- We now have 11 supporting groups and businesses listed on our web site.
- Additionally, we have a Facebook page at http://facebook.com/johnogroatstrail/ Please “like” us.
- Thanks to a kind anonymous landowner, we will soon have a notebook box along the route for walkers to record their coastal journeys!
- There will be group day walks along the coast near Berriedale 7 & 21 February, email me or see web site at http://jogt.org.uk for more details.
- If any of you have connections with any local and/or Highland councillors your help in setting up contact would be great, so we can start building support.
I will be in the Highlands 5-23 February. While I’m there, I plan to have two volunteer events:
- 11 or 12 Feb in the Dornoch/Golspie area.
- 19 or 20 Feb in the Wick area.
Please let me know which dates you could make and I will let you know a final programme accordingly. (You don’t have to commit at this point.) The activities on these dates may be cutting vegetation, building stiles, or waymarking the footpath. There will be something for all ages and abilities. Times will be flexible and arranged closer the day. It will be a long drive for some of you but I will try to help arrange car share. I also plan to rent a car this trip, so may be able to offer you a ride myself. If you can bring any appropriate tools please let me know, as I am limited to what I can bring in my luggage.
Additionally, while I’m there, I will be trying to limit my expenses. If you are able to host me for a night, it would be much appreciated. Thank you to those who have previously hosted me and those who have already offered for this trip.
Your thoughts and suggestions are always welcome. I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible in February!