The Friends of the John o’ Groats Trail has charity status and is a coalition of walking groups and other community organisations, listed below.
Our goal is to develop the Trail through volunteer efforts and community support, in order to improve walking access for the community as well as develop the local tourism economy by opening the trail to long-distance walkers.
Legally speaking we are a charity association with a written constitution and we have been given charity number SC046737 by the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator. The executive committee of the association currently consists of:
- Chair: Jay Wilson. Based in Berriedale. Jay has walked most of the trail twice and some of it multiple times.
- Secretary: Sinclair Dunnett. Based in Inverness. He runs Puffin Express tour operator, is active in HOSTGA (Highlands of Scotland Tour Guide Association), and is a member of the Inverness Ramblers walking group.
- Treasurer: Kathleen Dunnett. Based in Inverness. She runs Puffin Express tour operator and is active in HOSTGA (Highlands of Scotland Tour Guide Association).
- Trustee: David Hannah. Based in Ardgay. He is treasurer of the Sutherland Walkers Group, Ardgay Scottish Country Dance Club, Scottish Esperanto Association and Creich & Kincardine Branch of Legion Scotland. He is also a trustee of East & Central Sutherland Community Care Forum, Gearrchoille Community Wood Ardgay, and Ardgay Public Hall. David is an experienced walks leader, and has already walked a large part of the Trail, with SWG and independently.
- Trustee: Catherine MacLeod. Based in Thrumster. She runs Thrumster House B&B and cottages with her mother Islay MacLeod and she is on the board of Venture North a tourism initiative.
- Trustee: Charlie Bain. Based in Wick. Charlie is an avid walker, having trekked several times in the Alps and the Himalayas. He has built more stiles on the JOGT than anyone.
In addition to our trustees, we also have some key volunteer posts:
- JOGT Photographer: Derek Bremner. Based in Wick. Derek is an avid photographer and keen walker. He is a regular contributor of photos to several local websites and keeps us supplied with fresh images of the trail.
- JOGT Mapmaker: Andy Robinson. Based in Cheshire. Andy is the author of the Cicerone book The End to End Trail and is currently working on a guide to the John o’ Groats Trail with Jay Wilson.
You can find a list of our supporters on the links page.